Both have stereo speakers I think. At the end of the event they were describing the 7 and they referenced stereo speakers. The video they played referenced them on the 7 plus.

On 9/7/2016 2:49 PM, Ron wrote:
Hi,

I can't sware to it but I thought I heard that only the 7 plus will have a top and bottom speaker so you could listen to it in landscape mode. That puts the speakers farther apart but not really enough to get good separation. Volume perhaps...

Ron & Danvers

-----Original Message----- From: Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 3:14 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: IPhone 7will include a headphone jack adaptor.

It will sure make it louder, but unless you hold it up to the bridge of your nose the fact that the speakers are only a few inches apart will not really make much difference with respect to sound stage and separation. It would be like putting two bookshelf or tower speakers a foot apart and then sitting 8 feet away.