Hi,

Thought I start a new thread here since this really doesn't apply to all this
chatter about the headphone jack. Anyhow, initially I wrote this in response to
Mary's post about her having heard that apart from size and camera features the
7 and 7Plus are the same, here it goes:

One nice addition is the addition of optical image stabilization with the
iPhone 7, with the 6 and 6S only the Plus models had optical image
stabilization, this year both phones get it.

I also love the IPX67 water/dust resistancy rating. I am surprised Tim Cook
didn't explain what it means, but these new phones (not that I'll be buying
one) are essentially waterproof even when fully emersed.

The Apple Watch 2 is even better as it is rated waterproof for up to 50 meters
depth which means you can use it for swimming all day long, shower with it and
theoretically even do recreational scuba diving where you rarely go deeper than
30 or 35 meters.

I think an Apple Watch 2 may be on my list of upcoming purchases, the iPhone
will definitely wait for the 10th anniversary edition next year even though
they said that the extra 1-2 or more hours of battery life over the 6S/6S Plus
would make it a worthwhile upgrade for 6S/6S Plus owners. I think the water
resistant aspect is more compelling, but still not enough.

For those who want the official definition for the IPX67 rating, here is a nice
and to the point definition:

IP stands for 'Ingress Protection'

An IP number is used to specify the environmental protection of enclosures
around electronic equipment. These ratings are determined by specific tests.

The IP number is composed of two numbers, the first referring to the protection
against solid objects and the second against liquids. The higher the number,
the better the protection.

IPX67 means a rating of 6 for things like dust and 7 for liquids.

6 = - Totally protected against dust.

7 = - Protected against the effect of immersion between 15cm and 1 m (that is
between 6 inches and just over 3 feet for all you americans).

Some definitions also say that this protection against emersion is for up to 30
minutes, all Garmin handheld GPS's for example have the same rating and they
add the 30 minute limit.

As I said, essentialy this means waterproof if you left it lying on the
picknick table in a downpour or even if you drop it in the toilet, bathtub, a
puddle or in the water at the beach as long as the water isn't 20 feet deep and
it takes you time to find your phone and get it out.

Let me add that for the first number (dust/solid objects) 6 is the highest it
goes.

For the second number (Liquids) it only goes one higher than 7. 8 = - Protected
against long periods of immersion under pressure.

I think this will end up resulting in a lot less business for companies like
Lifeproof who make waterproof cases since said cases typically are at best IPX7
when it comes to water proofness, some are only IPX6 which means " - Protected
against low pressure jets of water, limited ingress permitted".

With an essentially waterproof iPhone all you need is protection against drops
and so on and you can get buy with a much less involved case.