Hi there!
I have had similar problems with my 6 s on a number of occasions and have been
totally unable to get VoiceOver speaking again after it has suddenly turned
off. When I have asked Siri to turn it ,ack on, he has said it is already on,
so I then say "Turn Voice-over off", followed by a separate command to turn
Voice-Over on. This has always worked for me. I don't know what causes the
problem but believe it's a sign that there are more bugs with Voice-Over these
days.
I hope this work-around will will also work for you.
I personally don't think I'd consider an upgrade because of this problem but I
would report it to Accessability, as I am now going to do:

Carol p - Sent from my iPhone using MBraille.