Hi,

You can definitely connect your iPHone 4 to iTunes and update the OS; it works
just like it did when you used it as a phone except that the phone features
don't work - Wi-fi and iTunes work normally. And yes, if you back up your phone
before updating and then choose to restore with that backup during the update
process when asked, text messages will be copied to the backup and restored to
your phone.

Best,
Anna