When I was using iOS 10 on my old 6S, I did see this problem occur
once. I thought it was my earbuds, so I switched them out with another
pair and the same thing happened. Ultimately, when I either restarted
VoiceOver or rebooted my phone, the sound returned to both sides. I
don't recall which I tried or which worked though. It seemed to be a
VoiceOver issue rather than an issue with hearing accessibility.

Jmt,
Wayne

Follow me on Twitter at:
www.twitter.com/wcmerritt