My Chrome Cast cost $36; an Apple TV would be around $150.
At 11:13 AM 9/29/2016, you wrote:
In my opinion it is just another gadget which duplicates a lot the Apple TV can do already even though it may do it in a slightly different way. If you are mainly concerned about things like Netflix, Youtube, music and Podcasts I think the Apple TV provides a very accessible experience. I believe there is a Chromcast device designed to plug into powered speakers so if you want to play via a pair of analogue powered speakers this may be a good choice since the Apple TV doesn't allow you to do this without converters and things, but if you are connecting to HDMI at least for me the Apple TV seems to be all I need. There is an unending offering of devices out there for all sorts of things from bluetooth keyboards to headsets to speakers and from connected players to connected home automation devices. Are they fun, well, yes, many are, but are they necessary? I just read an article where a hacker or group of hackers took over a huge number of connected devices like routers, smart thermostats, devices like the Amazon Echo and so on to launch a denial of service attack on the website of some tech writer. Many of these connected home devices like thermostats, smart scales, locks, smoke alarms and even all the new Wi-Fi connected toys have notoriously poor security protocols and hence are easy to hack. It is amazing how many people get a router and never change the default password which is readily available via a Google search, many brands use "password" or "admin" as the default password and unless you actually log on to your router's web interface after you get it, you never know it should be changed and a lot of people just buy these things plug them in where often they work out of the box while they are wide open for anybody to take over. I also like all these gadgets and recently acquired a Ring Video Doorbell and I am very interested in some of the new smart locks, but a thermostat or doorbell is one thing, a lock is another because if hacked it would allow people access to my home. Is it a big concern up here in my community of 6,000 up in northern BC hours away from the next larger cities and an easy 12 hours drive from Vancouver? Maybe not, but I'm still holding off to see which devices are coming down the pipe that work with Apple's Home Kit since I believe if anybody builds in or requires good security it is Apple. I also love the idea of the Amazon Echo, but then sometimes I wonder if I really want to put a device in my home which listens to anything that goes on at any time unless I unplug it which sort of defeats the purpose of the thing.

From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Brett
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 6:53 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Google Cromecast

Hi,

Chrome cast does pretty much the same thing as the Apple TV, but just works slightly differently.

With the chrome Cast, The apps you want to chrome cast from need to
support it. But don't worry, when I had a Chrome cast everything I
wanted to use had the Chrome Cast button enabled. So things like
Netflix, Pandora, Spotify and BBC iPlayer etc. I suspect you will never
get any joy here from Apple music, but...

With teh chromecast you set things up on the phone, then click the
Chrome Cast button to send it to the Chrome Cast, where it then takes
over the streaming, so you can then turn your phone off if you want and
the stream will keep playing.

Hope this helps,

Brett.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VIPhone" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to viphone+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.