I am not sure you were on the right screen.  Did you double tap on edit?

When you double tap on edit, the add widget screen comes up.  At the top left
will be a cancel button, then as you swipe right, you will have a done button,
then you should hear, add widgets.
If you swipe right one more time, next you should hear:
Get timely information from your favorite apps, at a glance. Add and organize
your widgets below.

Now you will have a list of the widgets you currently have on your today
screen.  For each one, you should hear the name of the widget, then a reorder
button for that widget.  The reorder button is used to help you put your
widgets in the order you want.
After you get done the list of widgets on your today screen, then you will have
a list of widgets that you can add.  Before the name of each widget in this
list will be an insert button.  You would use this button to add it to your
today screen.

I hope this has been helpful.

Chris