Hi Todd,

It's of course your choice and everybody's choice if they participate in public
betas or apply to participate in private betas. I do strongly believe, however,
that beta releases in general are a great opportunity not only to report bugs,
but also to provide feedback on new features a developer has added or is
looking to improve even if said features work just fine without bugs. Sonos is
a good example. For those who don't know Sonos, they make a number of wireless
music players you can deploy around your home to bring music (or other audio)
to various rooms. The equipment is controlled with the Sonos app and Sonos has
a very active private beta community and they release new versions of the app
which include new features which need to be tested and many Sonos enthusiasts
love doing this and giving them feedback on how well things work or what needs
to be improved and also what other features should be added later. There are a
lot of very capable people out there who as a group can greatly help developers
because especially when it comes to Android devices, no developer can have all
the devices that exist in order to test their app on said devices under certain
conditions. Everybody else does benefit from the final release even if the
final release still contains bugs and you may think betas are useless and a
waste of time. Of course it is not for everybody to beta test and that's
perfectly OK, but I have personally approached developers where I wanted to use
and app and found it lacked accessibility and in many cases the developers were
very willing to make improvements which I then beta tested and provided
feedback.When the app was later released with much better accessibility it of
course benefited me, but it also benefited all others who then enjoyed the app
which I helped to make accessible and there are many on this list who have done
the same with apps they found interesting and useful. The Netatmo Weather
Station is one example, it was basically useless until I contacted the
developer after I bought a weather station and found I could not use it. It
could still use some improvements and after the initial work they did the
developer has been less enthusiastic to continue, but it is very useable as it
is now and many others on this list have bought a Netatmo Weather Station and
are enjoying the fact they can have access to indoor and outdoor temperature,
indoor CO2 levels and rainfall amounts and wind speed. Sonos again is another
example, accessibility was sorely lacking and here several others as well as
myself relentlessly went after Sonos and bugged them until they realized that
the Sonos system was of great interest to the blind and in around 2011 or 2012
there was a turning point when the company made acccessibility a priority and
ever since each release has been accessible and even some features which
initially were not accessible like TruePlay tuning eventually were made
accessible.
OK, enough said, hopefully I was able to explain that beta testing, both
private and public, is of value and that everybody benefit from the many hours
beta testers spend testing and reporting issues and providing feedback on new
features. Beyond that everybody is entitled to their opinion and what I wrote
above explains mine.