I don't have Wifi Assist turned on and I see the "network connection
in progress" many times in my status bar. I really haven't worried
about it very much. Also, in general, I find that from time to time
when I do iOS updates, some settings are turned on or off to their
default states, like the Wifi Assist. Other settings that have been
toggled one way or another for me include but not limited to:
Bluetooth, background app refresh, location services, and the list
goes on. I think it is worth going through your settings at least
after each major update and perhaps even every so often to see if
something has been changed. Yes, it takes awhile, but you might be
surprised what has been put at it's default "On" state, like the Wifi
Assist.

Hth,
Wayne

Follow me on Twitter at: