Hello Mark,
I also got the very same calendar invitation.  After googling it, I found an
article posted in the New York Times with a couple of work arounds.  Hopefully
Apple will address this in a future update.
I did the suggestion in the New York Times and it worked without a problem.
Here is the link to the article:
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/25/technology/personaltech/fighting-ios-calendar-spam.html?_r=0&referer=https://www.google.com/

Chris