This app sounds intriguing, but the descriptions you give here that the app gave you don't sound any more detailed than those that I've gotten from TapTapSee. Someone else posted that they got more detailed descriptions though, so I guess I'll check it out. I have an iPad Mini 4 with 128GB on it, so memory shouldn't be an issue here. One question though, how did you get it to describe photos that you previously took? That is something I don't think TapTapSee can do, and it would make it worth getting all by itself.
Evan

-----Original Message----- From: Bill Gallik
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 1:31 AM
To: viPhone E-Mail List
Subject: Re: [BlindTech] Toronto teen uses app to give visually-impaired a new look at the world

Hi All,

After reading this thread I installed iDentifi to see what was going on. The first thing I tried was to take a picture of my left hand reaching out with all fingers spread out. I snapped the photo and waited a couple of seconds, but nothing happened. As was reported in this thread, it tells you the photo was taken and then nothing. But as I was preparing to “Select A Photo” the app reported “A raised hand in a long sleeve black shirt.” That was exactly correct as I’m wearing one of my long sleeve black T-shirts.

This piqued my curiosity so I decided to try the ceiling fan just to see what would happen; it reported “Dropped 4-bladed ceiling fan."

I suppose it figured the fan was “dropped” because that would probably seem likely, but how it knew it was a ceiling fan is more than I can figure!

Then, given the problems reported in this thread, I started “looking at” photos from my Camera Roll (most of which are pictures generated while using KNFB Reader; iDentifi did not try to read the documents, but accurately reported the gist of the formerly scanned documents. When encountering actual photos of objects it was a bit “hit and miss” but I soon realized that those “missed photos” were reported as “blurry” by the photo app.

I’m using my 128 GB iPhone 6 with iOS 10.1.1 and I suspect this iDentifi app requires a huge amount of space to do what it does (scientists report that our vision uses 80% of brain resources) .

I have to wonder if available space on a given iDevice may not be the critical resource needed for this app to work properly. I plan to install iDentifi on my iPad II, that iDevice has only 16 GB but I’m going to bed for tonight - will be back tomorrow with results on that.
Bill & Leader Dog Holland
- “The Early Bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the Cheese!”
- Contributor Unknown