For those of you who are curious, or, like me, have been frustrated by
the inability to sync music to your iPhone while having an Apple Music
subscription, I'm here to tell you that you can do this! There are
some caveats, though.
1. In order to sync music from iTunes to your iPhone while having an
Apple Music subscription, you need to turn off iCloud Music Library
each and every time before you sync music, then turn it back on once
iTunes is closed and your iPhone has been unplugged. The same goes for
iCloud Music library on your Windows or Mac computer. This is a pain,
but necessary.
2. Your downloaded music from Apple Music will be deleted from your
phone each time you re-sync. Note that downloaded music is not the
stuff you've just added to your library--it's the music you've
actually downloaded to your phone with Apple Music. You can get the
music back, of course, but it's something of which to be aware before
proceeding.

Anyhow, What you have to do in order to sync music from iTunes to your
phone is turn off iCloud Music Library on both your computer and
phone, then sync as normal, just like you did before the introduction
of Apple Music. After your sync has completed and you've safely
disconnected your phone from the computer, go back into your music
settings on your phone and turn iCloud Music Library back on. You'll
get a popup asking you if you'd like to keep or delete (I think the
other button is labeled delete) the music that's already on your
phone. Anyhow, you want to press the "Keep" button. Your music from
iTunes and music that's in your iCloud Music Library will merge, and
you can now listen to both types of music.

When you want to sync different music to your phone, you need to
perform these same steps again. It's a total hassle, but it does work.

I chose to have iCloud Music Library turned off on my computer,
because I don't want to be inundated by Apple Music content when
dealing with my iTunes library. I don't need it to be there. After
all, I don't use iTunes as a media player at all--it's just a way for
me to get my music and TV shows (in mp3) into my iPhone's Music app.

I hope these instructions prove useful to some of those on this list.
I'm very much looking forward to being able to manage the content that
goes on my phone from iTunes by myself once more, instead of having to
get sighted help to do so, or worse, have to guess and pray that I
checked the right checkboxes.

Thanks,
Ari