Hi Tom,

One of you should set up a separate Apple ID for iCloud. This will give you
each your own iCloud storage and will allow you to use iMessage and Find My
Friends separately. You can still share an ID for purchase
s.

To do this, one of you should go to iCloud and choose the Account button. If
you are currently sharing an account, they'll need to delete this account from
their iPhone and then set up another one.

HTH,
Anna