From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
M. Taylor
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 12:56 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: iOS Native Twitter App Now Supports Moments, Via VoiceOver

Hello Regina,

First, I completely understand how Twitter can overwhelm anyone, in the
beginning.  It just takes time in order to learn what to filter out and, more
importantly, what the various symbols/tags mean.

Second, As a general rule, I suggest that those new to Twitter only follow news
sources such as CNN, The Associated Press, CBS, etc.  I suggest this because we
all know what news is supposed to sound like and, as a result, we can quickly
learn what is data and what is Twitter meta-data, intuitively.  Now that I
think about it, when I began using the Twitter app, I only chose to follow one
news source, CNN.  Little-by-little, I began adding other news sources and then
finally commercial companies, private citizens, etc.

One of the biggest complaints about Twitter, Facebook, social media, etc, is
how much time it takes in order to stay up-to-date with the latest information.

Over the last couple of years, Twitter has taken the lead with regard to
providing quick up-to-the-minute news in virtually every area of the globe.  I
suspect this began when people in third-world countries began posting to
Twitter when anything horrific happened such as a tsunami, earthquake, etc.
Regardless of how it started, mainstream media began using Twitter as a way to
cultivate more patrons.  Also, during his first presidential run, Barack Obama
demonstrated how powerful Twitter can be in reaching young people in order to
galvanize a movement.

Okay, enough of the history lesson.  My point is that the more people used
Twitter, the more information there was to sift through.  As Kerri stated
yesterday, in order to keep up, one had to either employ a third-party app to
conduct complex searches or one had to follow an enormous number of
people/sources.  At to that the fact that one had to constantly check Twitter
so as not to miss anything.

Enter Twitter Moments.  Affectively, this turns Twitter into a kind of breaking
news aggregate.

As to how to use it more effectively?

Near the top of the screen, you see some major categories.  Select the one in
which you're interested.  Then, you will see a list of top-stories.  Find one
that peaks your interest and select it.

This will bring up a full-screen display containing either a photo or a video.
Near the bottom of the screen, there will be some text describing the event.
Now keep in mind that the text will only be a few sentences.  Moments is not
intended to be a news article but only a blurb to keep you up-to-date.

After you read the blurb and/or view the photo/play the video, you can then use
a three-finger swipe from right-to-left in order to see another blurb on that
same topic either by the same source or by another poster.

When you're done, either activate the Close button or perform a single-finger,
hold, and swipe up gesture to be taken back to the main Moments area.

Okay, I think that about covers the basics.

Good Luck and enjoy,

Mark

The Beginner's Guide to the Hashtag

By Rebecca Hiscott
Oct 08, 2013

If you’re a social media novice, hashtags — those short links preceded by the
pound sign (#) — may seem confusing and unnecessary. But they are integral to
the way we communicate online, and it’s important to know how to use them (even
though some people, like Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake, are not the
biggest fans). Plus, they can be a lot of fun.

On Twitter, the pound sign (or hash) turns any word or group of words that
directly follow it into a searchable link. This allows you to organize content
and track discussion topics based on those keywords. So, if you wanted to post
about the Breaking Bad finale, you would include #BreakingBad in your tweet to
join the conversation. Click on a hashtag to see all the posts that mention the
subject in real time.

The hashtag’s widespread use began with Twitter but has extended to other
social media platforms. In 2007, developer Chris Messina proposed, in a tweet,
that Twitter begin grouping topics using the hash symbol. Twitter initially
rejected the idea. But in October 2007, citizen journalists began using the
hashtag #SanDiegoFire, at Messina’s suggestion, to tweet updates on a series of
forest fires in San Diego. The practice of hashtagging took off; now users and
brands employ hashtags to cover serious political events (#Cairo) and
entertainment topics (#MileyCyrus) alike.

Which characters can you include in a #hashtag?

For starters, spaces are an absolute no-no. Even if your hashtag contains
multiple words, group them all together. If you want to differentiate between
words, use capitals instead (#BlueJasmine). Uppercase letters will not alter
your search results, so searching for #BlueJasmine will yield the same results
as #bluejasmine.

Numbers are supported, so tweet about #50ShadesOfGrey to your heart’s content.
However, punctuation marks are not, so commas, periods, exclamation points,
question marks and apostrophes are out. Forget about asterisks, ampersands or
any other special characters.

Keep in mind that the @ symbol does something completely different. Using @
before a person’s Twitter handle will tweet at him directly, letting him know
you have written to him via the @Connect tab. A hashtag will not. Sometimes
users will hashtag a celebrity’s name instead of using her Twitter handle — it
is acceptable to tweet #Lorde or @lordemusic. But if you are trying to reach
someone directly, don’t use a hashtag.

There is no preset list of hashtags. Create a brand new hashtag simply by
putting the hash before a series of words, and if it hasn't been used before,
voilà! You've invented a hashtag.

Supported Platforms

Most major social media platforms support hashtags. These include:

Twitter: Twitter is the birthplace of modern hashtag usage — as such, its
hashtags are more versatile than other sites' (see “Tone & Voice,” below).
Twitter hashtags are mainly used to denote specific topics of conversation; the
“Trends” sidebar of your Twitter feed curates a list of hashtags you might be
interested in, based on your tweets.

When you search for a hashtag on Twitter, there are three ways to filter the
results. The "Top" option displays the most relevant and popular posts,
including those from users you don't follow. "All" shows you every tweet that
uses the specific hashtag in real time, and "People you follow" will only
display results from users you are following

Source located at:
http://mashable.com/2013/10/08/what-is-hashtag/#Xz2_9IpRIPq4

Mark