Which version of iOS are you using? Also, are both your Mail and Messages apps
in the dock?
I was going to explain how you do this, but noticed a bug which I had never
noticed before. Maybe some others can see if they can replicate this because I
am using 10.3 Beta 6 so it is always possible that this is a new bug which does
not exist in 10.2.1.
Anyhow, normally you would flick down on say the Mail app so Voiceover says
"Arranging Apps". Then you double tap and, since "Move Mail" is now the
default, you can simply double tap again to activate this.
All of this goes as it should, after the second double tap Voiceover says
"Choose a destination for Mail".
My Mail app is second from the left in the dock, just to the right of the Phone
app. My Messages app is third, so just to the right of the Mail app.
If I now flick right to the Messages app or touch it to put focus on it,
Voiceover says "Messages, editing", but if I now flick down where it should
give me the option to put Mail before Messages or after Messages I am not
getting any of this, the only two options are "Activate" or "Cancel Move".
If instead I touch any app on the home screen above and flick down I get all
the options so it appears that as soon as you just want to move an app from one
position in the dock to another position this method of moving doesn't work and
you have to double tap and hold, then drag left or right.
Furthermore, what I am describing above is only the case if the dock is full
with 4 apps in the dock. If I move an app out of the dock to the home screen
and then try the same action, i.e. trying to move Mail and then touch Messages,
I can now flick down and select to place mail before Messages (which is where
it already is) or I can place it after Messages. I can also move my Audible app
which I have at the bottom right of the dock and which I moved out to the home
screen to test this, back tot he dock using the new method.
Once it is back and the dock is full you once again can't move the position of
the 4 apps in the dock except by using the old method of dragging them.
Having said this, doing a double tap and hold and then dragging an app in the
dock has always been relatively easy since you can't create a folder in the
dock so if I drag Mail to the right and it says "On Messages" I can just let go
and they change places whereas if you do this on the home screen it would
create a folder and you would have to drag Mail a bit to the right of Messages
to it's in the empty space between the two apps.
I think this is probably a bug nobody has noticed, I still think it should be
possible to use the new method with the rotor to rearrange apps in the dock
since you can do so on the home screen and you can do it in the dock as long as
there are only 3 apps in the dock.