Wireless charging has been a bit slow in coming, but it obviously is where
things are going and now that Apple has adopted it and, surprise surprise, they
actually adopted an open standard instead of developing their own proprietary
one wireless charging will take off big time. The two clowns from Windows
Weekly may not always have good things to say about Apple, but Paul T did say
in their last Podcast that while Apple may not always be the first to the party
that when they do adopt something they usually do it right and once they adopt
it everybody else takes note just because Apple is so big and influencial. This
is mainly true although in a very important way he is also wrong because Apple
was the one who really started the smartphone party and they were the ones who
absolutely pioneered multi-touch, having apps and all that.
They also have the cash to invest into OLED technology and to help other
companies to produce these things in the quantities they need without being
entirely dependent on Samsung and let's face it, they did also put Touch Id on
the mainstream map because while of course fingerprint sensors have existed for
many years, Apple made them ubiquitous and from what I read nowhere does it
work as fast and reliably as on the iPhone. Now they are doing the same with
Face Id, so far it's been a toy available on a few phones and let's not forget
Windows Hello which nobody uses, you can be certain that in a few years
everybody will try to catch up with Apple on this.
I would not be at all surprised if Apple are the first ones to figure out how
to wireless charge from a distance,either.