Because you sign in on the web and wipe it.  Either from a computer, or another
IOS device.  The only reason I didn’t do this is all my devices were out of
town and not reachible.  If you could wipe an iPhone without turning off find
my iPHone, people could steel phones and iPads with no issue of being able to
use it.