Alan, I am not sure if I am understanding your question correctly, I just tried
what I think you were trying to do. I opened a file in dropbox on my phone that
was originally created on notepad on my computer.
when I find the file that I am looking for, I double tap on it. Then says edit
with. Then VoiceOver said text field is editing. I wrote something at the
bottom of the file and then on the right hand top of the phone that was a save
button. I saved it and it worked fine. If I am not understanding you correctly,
let me know and we’ll try again.
in other words, you open the file in your dropbox app. As long as it is a text
file it should be able to be edited. Let me know.

Candy

Sent from my iPhone