I’ve had the same problem and I’ve had to remove the smart beetle from my
list of devices if I want to get my keyboard back but have switched off my
bluetooth keyboard. So, I rarely use the smart beetle for text entry now
because I have to add it back every time I want to use it. It’s annoying,
you would think that voiceover would recognize that neither the bluetooth
keyboard nor the smart beetle are being used and, hence, display the
on-screen keyboard. Instead, I’m stuck with a read-only blank message field
in text messages that I can’t activate and type in, making it useless. Only
way I found how to fix this is to get rid of the smart beetle in my braille
list. Wish I had better news,