Hello Sieghard,
My friend only called Apple Accessibility after trying everything else, and
that includes trying to turn up the volume.  Actually, that is what we tried
first because I had read about it on this list.
I had never thought of resetting all settings, but now I know that when nothing
else works, it is something that can be tried and will possibly solve the
problem.

Chris