I don't think anything has changed. For years now, Apple has claimed that you don't need to force close your apps, and this makes sense, since why would a company develop a multitasking operating system if it can't manage resources across multiple apps? That doesn't mean people won't claim that force closing all of your apps is a good idea and recommend that you should do it regularly.

You don't need to call up Apple to find out. A web search will reveeal articles like the folloing:

* https://9to5mac.com/2016/03/10/should-you-quit-ios-apps-answer/

* https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201330

* https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/831702/iPhone-Close-Apps

* https://www.wired.com/2016/03/closing-apps-save-battery-makes-things-worse/

* http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/10/21/stop-force-closing-apps-on-your-iphone-its-not-making-it-run-faster-or-last-longer

Of course, you should close an app if you're having trouble with it, and closing all apps and restarting your phone is always a good debugging step if you're having systemic problems with your iPhone. If you think that regularly closing all of your apps is improving the performance of your device then by all means go ahead and do it. It doesn't really do any harm except take a bit more of your time and use up a bit more of your phone's resources, such as battery life.