And you may be right. But I’m not the only one such a thing has happened to.
For all I know, it could be the card issuer themselves who are creating the
problem. ‘Funds’ aren’t the issue, though. I’m sure it’d be just a temporary
thing, that’ll be solved the next time I go at it.

From: Robin Frost
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2018 12:08 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Message: Credit card number does not match credit card type.
Hi,
With all due respect, still after reading this article I see nothing that would
indicate why one wouldn’t be able to advance through the card entry process.
The authorization hold is common but wouldn’t prevent any purchases or
verifications from taking place; nor did it mention a time period during which
the card or the associated account couldn’t be used to download or purchase
apps.
I’m glad you got it sorted by using another method still the mystery remains
why that card wouldn’t easily activate and integrate itself into the account.
I’m glad such has never befallen me and my Apple ID thus far.
Robin