Hello Deidre,
I think that I would inquire about the battery replacement
I have had my iPhone6s for about three years and I recently replaced
the battery a year ago and the phone is really quick just as if it
were purchased recently. Since it was indicated that you have had the
phone for about a year you might also consider resetting the phone and
starting it as new or resetting various settings such as network
settings etc. It could be that there is a particular app or something
that is causing the phone to be sluggish.
Finally, you could also enable reduced motion in
settings/general/accessibility/reduce motion. This will lessen the
effects on the display and could lead to a minor speed increase.