If you are disabling hey Siri because of battery drain, that is 1 thing, but
you don’t have to do it because you want HomePod to be the default.  Siri knows
when the HomePod is near by, so hey Siri is only active on 1 device when they
are in the same room or on the same wifi.  I read and article about this, and
have also tested it.