Some general information about bar-codes on medications and such....

95% of the time when there is a bar-code present on a prescription label,
the bar-code is only for internal use. It will be the RX number, account
number or something along those lines. It will not be a manufacture
bar-code that can be associated with the medication it self.

Product bar-codes are associated with the product it self allowing
companies to create databases with this information. With Seeing IA their
database only contains product names, while En-Vision America's i.d. mate
bar code scanner database contains the name and information about the
product. In an attempt to not turn this into a sales pitch you can visit
our website for more information.

There are 2 common styles of bar-codes..... 1st is a QR Code or also called
2D bar-code. This style actually contains data within the code, like a web
address, or actual information. 2nd is a Universal Product Code or UPC.
This style contains a number only and for it to be useful you need to
assign information to that number in a database.

UPC is what is found on all products, the key to it being useful to a
consumer is for a database to be available to them.

Hope I didn't bore you!
Amanda