Hello list,

Towards the end of last year, I posted a sort of query/rant about Bluetooth
kitchen scales and how I was having no luck with the MY Weigh Vox talking
scales. No matter how careful I was, the vox scales would unfailingly crap
out on me only after a few months at the most. At the time of that post, the
two of my vox scales died within days apart of each other during the
Christmas holidays. Being stuck without an accessible scale was not fun.
That and they were already replacements of replacements of replacements… My
Weigh did swap them out for me and at least that time, they didn’t even
charge me the standard $25 fee. I just had to pay shipping for both of the
scales to Arizona. Came out to something like $10.

Anyway, the most recent Vox 3000 scale replacement I got towards the middle
of January and this time . . . it lasted all the way to mid-March…

In the meantime, I had been checking out some Bluetooth kitchen scales for
accessible alternatives as it seems that My Weigh really is the only
manufacturer that makes talking kitchen scales that can weigh to the gram.
And as it appears that I’m more or less Charlie Brown when it comes to vox
scales, I didn’t want to continue to play the swap out game for eternity.

I came across two Bluetooth options. The Perfect Bake 2.0 Smart Scale:
https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Recipe-Kitchen-Wireless-Bluetooth/dp/B019C4PU
OA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8
<https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Recipe-Kitchen-Wireless-Bluetooth/dp/B019C4P
UOA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526269584&sr=8-3&keywords=bluetooth+kitchen+scal
e&dpID=51EpnAj-ZTL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch>
&qid=1526269584&sr=8-3&keywords=bluetooth+kitchen+scale&dpID=51EpnAj-ZTL&pre
ST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch for $20.00. as well as the Drop Scale - Connected
Kitchen Scale:
https://www.amazon.com/Drop-Scale-Connected-Step-Step/dp/B00TTY34KG/ref=sr_1
_1?ie=UTF8
<https://www.amazon.com/Drop-Scale-Connected-Step-Step/dp/B00TTY34KG/ref=sr_
1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526268636&sr=8-1&keywords=drop+bluetooth+kitchen+scale&dpID
=31UVszDTlQL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch>
&qid=1526268636&sr=8-1&keywords=drop+bluetooth+kitchen+scale&dpID=31UVszDTlQ
L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch which I got on sale for $56.00 from its
usual $80.00. As of this posting, it looks like the Drop Kitchen scale is
$70.00.

Both devices have iOS apps. The Perfect Bake Smart scale I ended up
returning as I found it to feel on the cheap side in regards to materials
(it felt very plasticky and flimsy) and the paring was kind of a hassle. I
don’t recall exactly the process, but I do remember not being able to figure
out the buttons (memory serves that there were four buttons) and ended up
calling my sighted wife to help me out. The app it was more or less
accessible with from what I was able to gather VoiceOver reading the
different areas, but again, the app and its layout just felt a little too
busy for me.

To be clear, both these scales and their associated apps have the main focus
on interactive recipes with a heavy visual element to them. You follow a
recipe and you can see on the display how virtual bowls and what have you
filling up and so on. This too added to the over all feel of the perfect
bake smart scale giving more of the impression of being a kid’s toy than
anything else. In the Perfect Bake Smart scale, there is an element where
you can put VO focus on and as the weight fluctuates, VO will announce the
changes, but it kind of gets lost with everything else on the screen. That
and for me at least with this model, I started to get all sorts of crazy
readings into the thousand of grams. I really didn’t play around with it
much to see if I could figure out or correct the weird readings since I knew
within a couple of days I wasn’t going to keep it so I just sent it back.

As far as the Drop Kitchen scale, it’s actual feel seemed more in line with
its higher price. It is small (maybe 7 inches in diameter) with a rubbery
surface where you would put whatever bowl or plate or any other container on
it. There is one simple button that slightly sticks out of the side of the
device and is almost like a little apostrophe or comma in a visual sense
that you press to pare with your phone or iPad. Paring with this scale was
super easy. The iOS app (Drop Recipes) is fully accessible and the first
time you launch it, you go through a couple of prompts including the paring
part which was done in a snap.

This scale like the Perfect Bake Smart scale is again, focused on recipes,
but what this scale has that I didn’t not come across in the Perfect Bake
Smart scale was a simple scale function. When you first set up the app and
device, the default screen is the whole busy recipe section and the
different steps and so on, but you can have the scale screen be your default
which is super clean and simple. You’ve got a menu button that says
hamburger button like a lot of other apps do, then there’s a heading that
just says Scale, after that is where the weight would be announced and it
the scale is not connected, VoiceOver will say not connected. If the scale
is connected, then you’ll have “current weight”. After that element, there’s
a toggle where you can switch from grams (it can measure to the tenth of the
gram), to KG to ounces. Double tapping it will cycle you through G, KG or OZ
and lastly there is a tarra button that simply says “zero”. All these fields
are laid out vertically.

I ended up keeping this scale mainly due to the clean layout of the scale
feature. If VO focus is left on the current weight element, VO will speak
the weight fluctuations instantly. There was an app update a few weeks ago
that broke this real time announcement and it was frustrating as you had to
flick focus away from the current weight field and back to it to get the
updated reading, but the developers put out a new update a couple of weeks
ago that fixed it.

To be clear, my preference is to have a simple accessible talking scale, but
as again, it appears I’m eternally cursed in this regard, I’ve found the
Drop Kitchen scale to be a satisfying solution. I don’t know if I would have
bought it at $80 since1) again, it’s main purpose (recipes) isn’t really
VoiceOver accessible, but for an actual scale, it’s completely accessible
and easy to use and at $56.00 it felt a little more reasonable. Since I was
spending money on shipping vox scales back and forth every couple of months
anyway.

That and I had also written both companies about their VoiceOver
accessibility. The Perfect Bake Smart scale folks gave the standard “we’ll
take it into consideration” whereas the Drop Kitchen people wrote me back
expressing their willingness to improve on the recipe aspect, but were
skeptical on how it could be done since again, there’s a large visual
element to it, but they also took the time to check on whether VO spoke the
weight measurements in real time and also mentioned that one of the support
staff’s sibling is blind and uses it.

I’m fairly confident that the app will continue to be accessible and as has
already been demonstrated, if something gets broken, it’ll get fixed.

The Drop Kitchen scale site is: https://www.getdrop.com/ if anyone wants to
check it out. It seems they also support other appliances, but I’m not in
the market for an oven or anything so I have no idea about accessibility for
any of those other items. 2)

One complaint I’ve read about the Drop Kitchen scale is that the battery
dies fast and as it’s a particularly unique battery which you have to write
the company for, but I’m going on two months with this scale without any
issues so we’ll see.

Cristóbal