Sieghard, I'm informed on jail breaking for several years, in reading the technology articles about the phones. Infact way before I got my first iphone last year, december of 2017. Just like you and many others I stay informed and read. I'm well aware, for several years now, the implications and the drawbacks of using such apps which personally, I would never do with my phone, nor would I be interested in going to that extent. I was quite sure, that he wasn't interested in knowing about the method of sending a text message from a computer to a phone, of which chances are he's probably already informed of sending a message that way. I thought I would just mention that in case he hadn't considered that. Though again, I was completely sure that wasn't the answer he was looking for and I did acknowledge that in my message. and your answer may be to inform me again, that he didn't mention that, or that a jail breaking app and the method of sending a text from a computer by email to a phone are 2 different things of which they are, and you may have other responses to go along with that. We could go on and on this way, which is nothing I care to pursue. So once more, Sieghard, since I can't read his mind, I just thought I would mention it to him, in case that was something he hadn't considered, and yes, I know that's not what he asked for. There are times when people take the time to answer a question which won't be a direct answer to your question, but just a possible thought of another way to do something. The person receiving that answer to their question which may not be a direct answer to what they are looking to find out, it's up to them whether it's something they wish to consider or respond too in what it means to them. Point blank if it's not the answer they are looking for they don't have to respond to that answer. All this explaination isn't totally necessary, but I felt it was needed this time, to suggest to you, that leaving it up to the person that asked the question, whether they respond or not of which they don't need to respond to everyone that gave an answer. I appreciate your safeguarding to be so very supportive and speaking on behalf for someone's question being missunderstood, thank you for taking the time and heart to care that much, but they can respond or not respond as to if the answer means anything to them on their own. If that's not the answer they are looking for either they won't respond, or the person that asked the question will tell you themselves that wasn't what they were looking for or they might even thank you for reminding them of whatever the possibility was that was mentioned with the other way of doing something. I appreciate how you help many of us here on the list of which you are very diligent about. You're not alone with caring very much about helping others, and answering questions, of which that is what this list and other lists are about, helping one another. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sieghard Weitzel" <siegh...@live.ca>
To: <viphone@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 2:01 AM
Subject: RE: jailbreaking ios11?

Hi Arlene,

What he wants to do has nothing to do with apps available through Apple's app store. Jailbreaking refers to the process of gaining root access to the iOS operating system that runs on Apple devices and by doing so removing most of the restrictions put in place by Apple. Among other things a jailbroken phone can use apps from an alternative app store called Sydia. Jailbreaking was very popular in the early years of iOS, but by now many of the things you could do with a jailbroken phone like installing third party keyboards, features like the control centre etc. are part of iOS and there is a lot less incentive to jailbreak. Apple usually puts an end to jailbreaking when a new version of iOS is released, then a few weeks or months later the jailbreaking community figures out how to circumvent these securities and they release another jailbreak. Then Apple releases a software update again preventing the phone from being jailbroken etc. It is rare you hear about jailbreaking in the popular media, 6 or 8 years ago Podcasts like Today in iOS were full of jailbreaking information. One thing you of course also do when you jailbreak your phone is that you open it up to all sorts of volnerabilities and security risks. Apps you download from Sydia could contain malware or other code which may compromise security.

installing