Hello Mark,

I am running the latest ios on an iPhone 8, and I have seen many brightness
issues ever since I have updated to ios 12.  And I have tested it, it does not
matter whether screen curtain is on or off.
Here is what I have seen:

*  Ever time I restart my phone, and I just tested this again, my phone
brightness is set to 100%.  And this happens whether screen curtain is on or
off and if auto brightness is on or off.
* If I have auto brightness on, my brightness will increase from time to time,
even if I have screen curtain on.  For example, I would turn it down to 0, and
check later on, sometimes it would still be at 0, and sometimes I found it at
35%.  If I turned it back down to 0, things would just repeat itself after some
time.  So I was forced to turn auto brightness off.

I understand that not everybody and all phones see this behavior, but it is
happening.  I do not understand why, and even though I would guess that Apple
would have a hard time reproducing it, I have submitted the problem to them in
hopes that it might be resolved in a future update.

Chris