Just an additional note to what Richard said.  When moving around in a
document, it is important to be able to know where your insertion point is.
Whether you are moving by character, word, or line, by flicking down, you will
move forward, or left to right, putting the insertion point to the right or
end. And by flicking up, you will move backwards, or right to left, putting
your insertion point to the left or beginning.
For example, if you have the word, can, C A N, and your insertion point is at
the beginning of the word to the left of the letter c.  If you flick down one
time moving by character, voice over will say c, and will move the insertion
point one place to the right, which will be after the letter c, but before the
letter A.  If you flick down again, then voice over will say A, and will move
the insertion point one place to the right, which will be after the letter A,,
but before the letter n.
So as you see, if you are moving left to right, the insertion point is to the
right or after the letter spoken.
Now, if you then flick up one time moving by character, then voice over will
say A, moving the insertion point one place to the left, which will be before
the letter A, but after the letter c.  And if you flick up one more time, voice
over will say c, moving the insertion point one place to the left, which will
put you at the beginning of the word, before the letter c.
So if you are moving backwards, right to left, the insertion point is to the
left or before the letter spoken.

So depending on which way you are moving will determine what side of the letter
the insertion point will be located.  Without knowing this is probably one
reason you got confused and were not having much luck when selecting text.

Hope this has been helpful.

Chris