Probably an OK investment although the SE is still a pretty darn good phone and
when Apple recently brought it back for $249 for 32Gb and $299 for 128Gb people
jumped all over it.
Anyhow, did you upgrade sight unseen so to speak? I mean did you not try to go
to an Apple Store and check out the XR?
I guess what you are asking with respect how comfortable it is to hold only you
can answer, it will definitely feel a lot larger than what you are used to if
you had an SE before.
Adding on a battery case will make it even that much bigger and mostly thicker.
The XR is reported to have great battery life so I would certainly not spend a
bunch of money for a battery case for a phone which already has good battery
life.
Of course I don't know what you do, if you are out and about using GPS for
hours on end it is probably a good idea, if not you may as well just recharge
the phone when it needs recharging. The XR supports wireless charging and you
may have been better off spending the money you spend on a battery case for 2
or 3 decent charging pads which you put in the places where you are the most,
then simply putting the phone down on a pad will top up the battery. I recently
upgraded from a 6S Plus to an iPhone 8 and I find it much easier to keep it
charged with the wireless charging compared to before when I had to plug in a
cable.
As for sound it will definitely sound a bit richer.