There are at least 3 different ways to deal with this, the easiest is to simply
press the home button, it will stop the timer and return you to the call.
Pushing either the volume up or down buttons once will have a similar effect,
it will stop the sound of the timer, but it will leave the banner up on the
screen.
If you are able you can also touch near the top left of the phone, at the very
top is the signal strength and your provider, just underneath is where
notification banners show up and it will say "Clock, now, timer"
You can double tap on that and it stops the sound and opens the timer or you
can swipe up or down on this banner and you get the following options:
Clear
More
Activate
Double tapping on clear will also stop it.
As I said, pushing the volume up or down buttons stops it, but that "clock, now
timer" is still there, normally if you are on a call and you for example press
the home button to go out of the phone app to the home screen it will show
"Touch to return to call" up there. If you are using a headset or are on
speakerphone you might be on a call and want to look up something for the
person you speak with, maybe somebody's phone number. You can then press Home
to go to your home screen which will not disconnect the call, you can then open
say the Contacts app and do whatever you want to do and if you want to return
to the call that is in progress you can do that by touching up near the top
left where it says "Touch to return to call". You have to find it since you
can't swipe to it, it's above your top left app and below the provider
information in the status bar.
You can also return to the call by double pressing the home button to bring up
the app switcher and there will be an item called "Phone call with" and that is
followed by either the number or, if the number is in your contacts, by the
word "Active".
But just remember, when in doubt, press the home button.