Hi, Sieghard.

Thank you for such a detailed explanation.  The fact that VO was reading the new name in the app switcher was what threw me off at first.

Now I'm still wondering how to open the Voice Dream Scanner App because using handwriting and writing the letter S only brings up one instance of Scanner and it is for the Scanner Radio app.  I don't recall whether or not this was the case before I renamed it.

It's not that big of a deal because I know where the app is, but I use handwriting to open apps quite a bit and since Scanner seems to be a popular name it might throw others off as well.

Lisa

Lisa Belville

missktlab1...@frontier.com

Hi Lisa,

As Anna said, renaming an app with a 2-finger double tap and hold will change
the name so Voiceover reads it as whatever you call it, but it only renames it
for Voiceover purposes, the underlying name is still whatever the developer
called it.
I just tested this with an app called "Meteo" which is the official weather app
from Environment Canada.
I renamed it to "Canadian Weather". Now when I swipe to it or touch it on the home screen Voiceover
says "Canadian Weather" and not "Meteo".
However, if I open the app and then pull up the app switcher, Voiceover calls it "Canadian Weather"
in the app switcher as it should, but if I swipe up or down with one finger to change the rotor to close it
from the app switcher, Voiceover says "Close Meteo" not "Close Canadian Weather".
Similarly, if I use handwriting to find it I have to type "M" and it shows in
the list of apps starting with M as Meteo.
The same applies to Voice Dream Scanner. If you rename it from Scanner to Voice Dream Scanner Voiceover will say that
except if you want to find it with handwriting you have to write "S" and if you have another app called
Scanner they will both show up, also if you open it and then close it from the app switcher Voiceover would say
"Voice Dream Scanner" when it reads it in the list of open apps, but as soon as you swipe up or down it will
say "Close Scanner" not "Close Voice Dream Scanner".