I have updated to iOS 12.2 and I just checked and my copy of Overthere is still
working as it has always worked.  My phone is an SE.

Gail

Sent from Gail’s iPhone

On Apr 1, 2019, at 5:41 PM, Kelly Hill <kellmast...@gmail.com> wrote:

if anyone who uses OverThere has updated to iOS 12.2 can tell me if the app is
still working as expected I would appreciate it because mine isn't. its
self-voicing TTS works when I'm in the apps settings,  but my app stays in the
list of signs that are around as if it can't tell when I am holding the phone
horizontally.   Another GPS app, Righthear, which also switches modes depending
on whether the phone is held vertically or not works fine so I don't think it's
a hardware problem. I have restarted the phone, done a hard reset, uninstalled
and reinstalled the app all with no luck.
My gal is using iOS 12.1.4 and her copy of OverThere is working fine. We both
have iPhone 8.

"overTHERE uses a unique line-of-sight algorithm that lets you point the phone
in your hand in any direction to hear the nearest Places as Virtual Talking
Signs. When pointing straight at a virtual sign the speech is loud and clear,
but as you point away from it, the speech starts to get staticky, so you
have quick audio feedback about the exact location of the virtual talking sign.
Holding the phone horizontally lets you explore your surroundings using the
virtual talking signs interface, but when the phone is held vertically you
can use the screen or VoiceOver to review the list of signs around you. By
selecting a sign from the list you can access details about a location such
as its address, phone number, or web site..."

“overTHERE

overTHERE grew out of Smith-Kettlewell's Virtual Talking Signs project. The app
uses an interface based on Talking Signs – a system of infrared transmitters
and receivers that Smith-Kettlewell originally developed to make signage
accessible for blind pedestrians. The original Talking Signs system allowed the
location of a transmitter to be determined by moving the receiver back and
forth across the beam of a transmitter until the strongest signal is heard.
overTHERE uses a similar interface, offering many of the advantages of Talking
Signs, but now the transmitters are Google map pins and the receiver is
your iPhone."
https://www.ski.org/project/overthere

If anyone who doesn't already have it is interested, the link for the app is:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/overthere/id1126056833?mt=8

Thanks,

Kelly Hill