Bravo, Scott.

I will file a complaint, as well.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Scott Howell
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2012 12:25 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Face TIme over 3G for those who live in the U.S

Hi all,

Anyone who has AT&T without a shared data plan is likely aware they cannot
use Face TIme over the 3G network. Although I do not believe I would use
Face TIme for general conversation, I believe there are cases where it may
be valuable. Obviously there are services such as Skype which apparently
AT&T does not block. Now with that said I decided to file a complaint with
the FCC which is the regulatory agency for all things related to
communications such as wireless etc. in the United States. I decided to file
the complaint because there is no technical reason for AT&T to block Face
TIme over the 3G network and especially if they do not block Skype.
My understanding is that Verizon Wireless does not block Face Time and mor
does Sprint. I believe that AT&T has taken this position for one of two
reasons and one of which is surely monetary. So, why do I bring this up?
Because I wanted to let anyone who has considered filing a complaint that
AT&T will respond. The best part is I have received an initial verbal
response which is exactly what I expected. THe conversation can be best
summed up as "to bad." There was absolutely no point in having a
conversation with AT&T because despite the fact I pointed out the obvious
fact they do not block Skype or any other VOIP service or placed any special
restrictions on such services, they have blocked Face Time. I even pointed
out how Face TIme could be useful in some circumstances for an individual
with a visual impairment which  incidentally is a true statement. So, I
anticipate that although AT&T has taken this position for now they will
continue to face a great deal of pressure from individuals and groups to
change their position.
The good thing is there are other avenues and options.