Hi Fred, I can sympathize. I learned braille when I was 50. My best
advice is to practice, practice, practice! Find a book or choose a
braille magazine that you simply can't put down. What you need is a
real page-turner, and then read it in braille. After that, choose
another! Keep records in braille, either using an electronic braille
display/input device or a Perkins, and refer to your notes whenever
you need to find an address, identify a spice jar, etc. The more you
use braille, the easier it will be. Hadley's courses are wonderful and
their teachers kind, encouraging, and non-judgmental! Use the lightest
touch you can, that will definitely help with identifying the letters
and contractions and help you to increase your reading speed. Good
luck, and don't give up!
Penny