The thing is, when a "backup" is done in iCloud my understanding is
that it's analogous to backing up in iTunes. All data (call records,
texts, favorites, app data, etc) is included in the backup. Unlike in
iTunes however, since you are dealing with very limited storage space
on iCloud the option is given to exclude certain application data from
a backup. Backups are used if for whatever reason you need to restore
your data to a new or wiped device, but they aren't synced to other
devices. Backups are not what I was referring to.

There's a separate feature in iCloud though, called 'Documents and
data'. This provides a way for apps to synchronize their documents and
data with the cloud so you can synchronize them with other devices.
Downcast for example can synchronize your subscriptions, playlists,
etc. between more than one device using the cloud, so you can add a
new subscription on your iPhone, and it'll be pushed to your iPad as
well. I was just interested to see that there's some data synced to (I
assume iCloud) that doesn't show up anywhere in the iCloud settings
and which you can't seem to delete. The Fleksy dictionary is one
example; your list of cities in the stock weather app is another
example. This is far from a big deal but it was a curiosity.

Grant