Hi Simon,

I suggest you just look up the Instant Pot online because it’s definitely a bit
more than a glorified rice cooker.
While I don’t own one of these having the app to use the instant Pot is not
about being lazy but about accessibility.
The device itself is made for preparing meals quite quickly which is possible
due to the pressure cooking. Whether that is meant for people who are lazy or
for people who simply don’t have so much time because they work a lot and still
want to cook something instead of heating up a prepared meal in the microwave
is debatable.

We recently purchased a new range from GE and the oven also can be operated
with an app. Again, while this adds some convenience as well because you can
turn it on remotely, for a blind person many ranges or wall ovens are other
wise inaccessible. All of the ranges I looked at and which I liked had touch
screens to control the oven. Many still have knobs for the cooktop although
even here some had touch controls, but given how quickly you sometimes have to
change temperatures when you have something simmering on the stove top I think
even most companies realize a physical knob is still the most intuitive and
efficient way to do this.
Ovens are different, you usually set them and that is that and without the app
I couldn’t even use this oven unless maybe I would call Aira everything and
then try to touch the screen where the agent directs me to touch, but then
there is also the fact that they don’t know the oven and may not be able to
tell me easily how to change a certain setting.

And yes, it’s convenient as well, a few days ago we wanted to bake a meat loaf
which we had in the freezer. It is one made by a local German butcher and it
comes raw in an aluminum loaf form. When frozen it needs to bake for 2 hours at
350 and if defrosted 1.5 hours. My wife and I both were working at our store
that day until 6 which means we often don’t get home until 6:30 or 6:45 and we
didn’t feel like eating at almost 9 PM. So we enabled the remote connection
feature, my wife put the meat loaf in the oven just before she left at Noon and
at 5:30 PM I set the oven to 350 Fahrenheit with the app and started it. By
that time the meat loaf had of course  mostly thawed out so when we came home
an hour later it was almost done, we had enough time to make some home-made
mashed potatoes, put together a salad and we ate at 7 PM.

Best regards,
Sieghard