The Podcasts app included in iOS by Apple is a very bare bones app. It's
certainly good enough for casual listeners. The Google Podcasts app seems
to have a good deal more capability. Provided you're happy with Google
gathering data, it's a good free step up from that.

I can't find a way to import my podcast list into Google Podcasts. I use an
app called Castro that Jonathan Mosen turned me onto and think is well
worth its subscription fee. I subscribe to far more podcasts than I
actually could ever hope to catch up with and Castro has a great way of
organizing all of the podcastss. If I could import my opml list of
podcasts, I'd take Google Podcasts for more of a proper spin than I have so
far.

At first glance, I'd say that Google Podcasts is a cut above Apple's
Podcasts app. I doubt you'd have any trouble finding any podcasst you took
an interest in. It seems to have good download management options and such.
Perhaps, it would come up to a level just below Downcast and Overcast in
terms of features offered. However, I have to presume Google is leveraging
its search expertise and it would make finding new podcasts of interest a
lot easier for people than some other apps might. Just my preliminary
thoughts.

--
Michael Feir
Twitter: mfeir