Jen, I was curious about knowing when to charge the remote too, but not to
worry. The TV will tell you. When you turn on" the Apple TV if the remote needs
juice you will immediately tell you. As for using your phone charger or cable,
you can. I'll let others tell you, and me, about games.

Reggie Alvarado