Hi Steve,
Hope you’re doing well.
I use a Mac and have this software from cerotech called Docuscan+. You can
download it on the cerotech website.
It works for a Mac and scanners.
I have a portable scanner I used to use when at school. It is a cannon scanner
which is also compatible with neat desk software according to the time I last
checked on the original box. From what I can remember it is compatible with the
Mac, and it works well for my needs because I can use any scanner with it.
For more info, go to http://www.serotek.com/docuscanplus
<http://www.serotek.com/docuscanplus>
Keep in mind you have to have a login username and pin to access it. They have
free trials  for new users if the student doesn’t have an account with cerotech.
I had this for years since I started college  back in 2005 because it was part
of the technology used for education.
You can ask student support services at the school if they have an activated
license for docuscan+ which is about $299 for a copy. Also, blindness-oriented
organizations like the commission for the blind in the student’s local state or
county, the national Federation for the Blind, and others can help with
purchase of the software.
If you have any further questions, pleas feel free to reply.

Hope this helps.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Best,
Priscilla