I am not sure what type of file you are wanting to edit, but if it is a plain
text file, then I just found a way of editing it right in the Dropbox app.

Here are the steps:

1, Double tap on the file you are wanting to edit.
2, Go to the bottom of the screen where it says Open Comments.
3, Now swipe left going back up the screen until you come to edit.
4, By double tapping on this edit button, it will bring up an edit field with
the text of the file in it.
5, Now you can not navigate inside the edit box by swiping. You have to use
standard navigation found on the rotor.

Now I can not say that this edit button is a feature for certain Dropbox
subscriptions, or if it is available for all accounts, including free accounts.
I am hoping that it is available for everybody.

Hope this helps.

Chris