Mine is updating now and I did not reset it. I read through all the
forums and saw that this is a pretty common problem even with models
higher than the series 3. So after I removed everything it would let
me remove, and i do mean everything, I then followed their suggestion
to simply restart both the watch and the phone. Finally, it showed
enough cleared space and the eternal download has started. This may
take days but at least it's happening. Most of what I uninstalled I
don't need back, and the couple I do I'll just redownload. The other
thing they confirmed is that the install doesn't actually need nearly
what it says and that it will be easy enough to put things back once
it's done. Very annoying though.