Hallo Kawal,

the ColorVisor has on its bottom three main tabs. Color recognition with the
camera is in the left tab called ColorScanner, which is the default selection.

If you are in the ColorScanner tab, the app continiously scans the color with
the backward camera as default (you can change the camera with a button on the
screen). Whenever the camera is calibrating itself, a constant sound is played
(Version 2.0). This happens quite often and every time you move the device. So
you have to focus the object you want to identify and keep the device still.
After some seconds, the calibration sound will stop and VoiceOver will announce
the detected color.

There are two ways to focus an object. First, hold the camera 5 to 10
centimeters away from it. This works very well if the light conditions are
optimal. However, incoming light or shadow will effect the measurement and you
have to take care about it.

The second method is to turn on the torch (if available). You can do this by
shaking the iPhone or find the appropriate button on the screen. Then, lay the
camera close onto the object to eliminate all light influences from the
environment. The results are not as good as with the first method under optimal
conditions, but they are good enough and you have control over the light
conditions. The only exception for this mehtod are very light and white
surfaces. The best result you can get is grey and often the camera shifts the
white color to even green. This is an issue of the camera and the image
processing. It is possible to scan white surfaces with the first method, which,
by the way, can be also used by all iPod touch and iPad owners who do not have
the opportunity of using the torch.

I hope this did help you a bit. You will find a user manual of the ColorVisor
in the app or on the support web site at http://visorApps.com/ColorVisor. There
is also a nice AppleVis podcast about the ColorVisor at:
http://www.applevis.com/podcast/episodes/color-recognition-apps-part-1-colorvisor
which might give you an expression. Note, the podcast covers version 1.1 of the
ColorVisor and there have been introduced some major changes in version 2.0.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Greetings

Jan

---
ColorVisor - The app to identify colors.
Available on the App Store:
http://itunes.com/app/ColorVisor
---
Dr. Jan Blüher
visorApps - Accessible apps for iPad & iPhone
Bayreuther Str. 2
D-01187 Dresden
Germany

phone: +49 (0) 351 16053907