Hello Listers,

Just read this today on the CBC news website, another new gadget for us to
spend our money on so we can finally "see the light" *smile*

Apple and Philips move into home lighting market

CBC News

European technology maker Philips will begin selling programmable home
lighting systems exclusively through Apple stores starting Tuesday.

Hue is a series of light-emitting-diode bulbs controlled from a handheld
Apple device through a household Wi-Fi network. At the Apple end, users can
control

the lights using a free app on their iPhone, iPod or iPad.

Philips's lighting system Hue, controllable through iPhones and iPads, goes
on sale Tuesday in Apple stores.

The bulbs offer a variable white light, mimic incandescent lights and will
produce more than 16 million colours. While LED lighting has been praised
for

its extreme power-saving attributes, the harsh whiteness of the light has
taken longer for technology to control.

"I was able to change the colours of the light bulbs in different rooms,
adjust the brightness level or turn the lights off and on with one touch
from

my iPad," wrote Mashable reviewer Andrea Smith, who tested the system for
several days.

As well, the system can memorize lighting combinations for people to reuse
in the future and can operate on a timed on-off basis. Lighting combinations

and programs can be shared through social media.

"I pressed a button on the bridge which immediately identifies all three
lights," Smith wrote.

"Using the app on my iPad, I was able to rename the lights, calling them
living room, family room and office. I had fun sliding the bar from left to
right,

which changes the intensity of the bulb's colour; it was like having a
dimmer switch built into my mobile device."

The system offers flexibility and control that was once limited to lighting
systems worth thousands of dollars in commercial applications.

For all that, however, it isn't cheap. The introductory kit - three bulbs
and a ZigBee bridge that attaches to a Wi-Fi router - costs $199 in Canada.
Additional

bulbs cost $59 each. As many as 50 bulbs can be operated on one system.