I am using the Refreshabraille 18. I like its size: it's thick but small in
length and width, from left to right it's about the size of the length of the
iPhone 5 and from top to bottom it's maybe half the size of the length of the
iPhone 5about as thick as a Victor Reader Stream, maybe a tiny bit thicker.
Perkins style keys, square keys. Display at the top, router buttons a little
way below, left-right buttons below that with an extra not raised button to use
as a space bar if you flip it between these (You press the left and right
controls simultaneously and then turn it around and then the braille display is
closer to you and the keys are further away; doesn't actually physically move
things around on the unit but just changes the display direction so turning it
around makes what was right/left on the display left-right).  Six keys with a
blank place in between below this. Five way joystick in the middle below keys.
Keys 7, space, and 8 below this. A unique usb jack because it's in the bottom
left indented in so it can be hard to get the cable in though I've gotten used
to it. I'm liking it; it's very sturdy and works fine but I can see that I
would like more cells. But more cells would mean bigger from left to right and,
more important, more cells with the quality I want would be more expensive.
Ergonomically I kind of wish the panning buttons could be on the edges in line
with the display but it might be hard to design that so you didn't accidentally
press them. Typing feels a little cramped to me but when one is used to a
braillelite 40 which is lots bigger and has long keys instead of a square one,
they would feel cramped; I imagine i will get used to that. The one thing that
takes some getting used to, not just with the refreshabraille but with reading
braille, is the way selected text is marked and the way fields are marked when
they aren't yet made editable; a little distracting but I am sure I'll get used
to that also. If money didn't matter, I'd get a 40-cell and it would also be
something with an sd card that could read files as a stand-alone. But since
money is a factor, I'm very happy with my refreshabraille 18, having gotten it
for slightly less because it was slightly-used. I was disappointed to find out
that Aph had discontinued the case as I would like a case for it to live in and
be used in in some situations but they say they are designing a new one.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart