Excellent explanation thanks.

Regards

Anthony

From: viphone@googlegroups.com <viphone@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of Sieghard
Weitzel
Sent: 26 May 2021 18:52
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: authenticator explanation

Authenticator apps are for accounts where you use 2-factor authentication.
Typically after you put in your user name and password a code will be emailed
or texted to you and you have to then enter this code. If you use an
authenticator code, then the app will generate the code you use, of course you
have to specify on whichever website, let's say on Dropbox, that you are using
an authenticator app and you then have to set up the app for Dropbox which
generally involves scanning a QR code on the computer screen.

With Microsoft, Google and some others this approach goes a step further in
that your iPhone itself along with the Microsoft Authenticator app (in the case
of Microsoft) is used for authentication. If I log into my Outlook.com account
from a computer which is not on the trusted computer list, a notification is
sent to the authenticator app on my iPhone. It pops up just like any
notification on my phone and when I tap on it the authenticator app opens, I am
asked if I want to allow or reject the login attempt and if I tap allow it uses
my Face Id for verification and, in some cases, it even asks you to confirm one
of three numbers which would be displayed on your computer's screen. So, for
example, it may say "Tap the number displayed" and then on the computer screen
let's say it shows the number 48, on my iPhone screen I see 17, 48 and 63 so
then I tap on 48 and at this point the app communicates to my login attempt
that everything was authenticated and I get logged in.

If you use 2-factor authentication for Google you can set it up to use the
Google app on your iPhone for verification. It's currently probably one of the
most secure methods because even if somebody had your phone they would not be
able to authenticate the login because your Face Id or Touch Id would be
needed. If you get the code sent to your iPhone via text message and as many do
have it set up to show text messages on the lock screen, then as long as
somebody had access to your phone they could log in and simply read the code
which was sent on your lock screen.

It's actually somewhat ironic that you can set up 2-factor verification for
many accounts such as Microsoft, Google, Apple, Dropbox etc. but most banks and
credit card companies do not support or offer this.

Best regards,

Sieghard