I asked some questions about the Balance My Checkbook app by LingsDesigns on
this list and another one but didn't get any answers, so I finally decided to
contact the developer. And as I expected from reading some of the reviews about
the app, I did indeed get a response.

If anybody recalls my first message to the list regarding this, if memory
serves seeing as I didn't bother to save my original message here, I had three
questions. As the first question involved what were improvements made to
VoiceOver to the newer version of the program and was just a curiosity
question, I opted not to take up the developer's time with it.

My other two questions involved whether the search transactions feature was
still available in the legacy version of the app, and whether the notes field
was still auto completed for the same type of transaction in the current
version of the app. While I don't feel comfortable posting the developer's full
email here, I'll post the part relating to those specific questions, and then
I'll talk a little bit about my call to Apple Accessibility afterwards. And
speaking of Apple Accessibility, I've heard in various places that they're no
longer letting one call with non-VO questions but are referring those to the
AppleCare number. Are folks here finding this to be the case? Anyway, here is
the developer response followed by my comments:

Search is available in all versions but the search bar may be hidden, to show
it swipe down on the center of the Account screen.  I'm not sure how you do
that with VoiceOver.  The most current version shows it by default.

Because of user complaints, auto complete for the notes field was disable to
match its behavior in version 1.x.  I'll consider adding an option for whether
to auto complete the notes in a future update.

Anyway, I very much appreciated the developer's concise, timely, and courteous
response to those and my other questions. And since I didn't know how to access
the search option in the legacy version, either, I called Apple Accessibility.
We talked a bit, and then it was decided that I would let them take a look at
my screen. However, when he tried to send me the notification, I never did
receive it, and he said it was because I wasn't using Wi-Fi. I then suggested
that I try connecting the phone I was using to the personal hotspot of my other
phone, and that did indeed work to allow him to see my screen.

We still couldn't figure out how to get to the search bar, though, so I
suggested turning off VoiceOver and letting him take a look, to which he
agreed. He then suggested I swipe down from the top of the screen with three
fingers with VoiceOver turned off, then turn VoiceOver back on, and then see if
I could see the search box. So I did the swipe down with VO off, turned VO back
on, and the search box stayed there as long as I remained in that particular
account. Actually, after I hung up from Apple, I tried turning off VO, doing
practically anything anywhere on the screen with however many fingers I liked,
and the search box would appear. But depending on what I did, for example just
tapping in the middle of the screen with one finger, often brought up a
specific transaction in the account as well as the search box, if that makes
sense.

Anyway, as I mentioned in a follow-up email to the developer after talking with
Apple, as much as I am tempted to go back and use the legacy version now that I
know how to use the search feature with it, I'll just stick with the newer
version, especially since the developer talked about making the legacy version
identical to the current version at some point.