Janet, Direct Touch has to be turned on in order for the game to work.

The new 7 Little Words uses only 5 gestures. With that said; Forget about the
old gestures & lets focus on the new gestures.

* A one finger double tap is used to select the puzzle that you want to play &
to select the letter combinations to form the words to the clues.
* A one finger swipe from left to right moves you down the page one line with
each swipe. A swipe from right to left moves you up the page one line with each
swipe.
* A one finger flick down moves you through the three areas of the game. At the
top left is the Back Button, flick down once & you are in the puzzle clues
section. Swiping left to right will take you through the clues. Flick down once
& now you are in the letters section to choose the letter groups to form the
words to the clues above. A one finger double tap selects a letter group.
Flicking up will take you back to the top of the page, letter group section,
clues section, Back Button.
* A three finger single tap toggles between characters & words & how the clues
will be read. This gesture can be used at any time during game play to change
how voiceover speaks the clues.
* A two finger swipe. After choosing how you want the clues to be read by using
the three finger single tap gesture, use two fingers & swipe from left to
right. Voiceover will read the clue per your choice frontwards. If you use two
fingers & swipe right to left voiceover will read things backwards.

That is all that you need to know to be able to successfully be able to play 7
Little Words.

Donna