I get this from time to time.  I went to Apple's help section and this is
what it says to do.

Unplug your I device, turn off iTunes, go into control panel, click on
administrative tools, click on services, arrow down to Apple Mobile Device,
Right click on it and turn the service off.  Right click on it again and
turn it back on.  Make sure it is set to automatic. Turn iTunes back and I
device back on.  It should load then.

I've had to do this a few times.  I think it is something going on in the
latest version of iTunes or IOs6.

Hope this helps.