Hello Terri,

Christopher's answer was spot on.

If you want to borrow a title that is not available, you can place it on hold
and when it becomes available, you will be notified either via email or from
within the app, or both.  It's up to you.  The great thing about Libby is now
you can see exactly where you are in the hold queue so you can kind of get an
idea of how much longer you will have to wait.  Remember, all of the titles in
your public library system are free to borrow.

Just so you know, depending upon your library and the type of title you borrow,
you can keep a book for up to 21 days.

So, you borrow the book.  All things being equal, in Libby, the book will
automatically be downloaded to your devices.  You can turn this feature off;
doing so will mean that you will be streaming an audiobook instead of having it
physically on your devices.

Once the book has been borrowed, you will see an Open button.  Activate this
button and you will be taken to an interface very much similar to that of the
Audible app.

As a new public library subscriber, I think your greatest challenge will be
acquiring a library card.

With very few exceptions, your public library log-in credentials will simply be
a matter of you entering your library card number and a 4-digit pin.  You only
need do this once.

Because I live in such a densely populated area, I have tons of library
branches within driving distance of my home.  As a result, I have yet to apply
for a library card, online.

In short, as much as I love supporting authors by purchasing their work via
Apple Books, Kindle, and Audible, I think it equally important to support our
public library system by both donating funds, when possible, and enjoying the
library catalog  as much as possible.

Mark